Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Christmas Surprise!!

Magnitude 4.9 - EASTERN SICHUAN, CHINA

2011 December 25 16:46:52 UTC 

Earthquake Details

4.9
  • Sunday, December 25, 2011 at 16:46:52 UTC
  • Monday, December 26, 2011 at 12:46:52 AM at epicenter
31.223°N, 103.720°E
23.3 km (14.5 miles)
EASTERN SICHUAN, CHINA
65 km (40 miles) W of Deyang, Sichuan, China
69 km (42 miles) NNW of Chengdu, Sichuan, China
328 km (203 miles) NW of Chongqing, Chongqing, China
1498 km (930 miles) SW of BEIJING, Beijing, China
horizontal +/- 18.8 km (11.7 miles); depth +/- 8.3 km (5.2 miles)
NST= 53, Nph= 53, Dmin=563.3 km, Rmss=0.96 sec, Gp= 76°,
M-type=body wave magnitude (Mb), Version=5


As my parents were talking to Jordan on Skype Christmas morning, he experienced his first earthquake from the 11th floor of his dormitory!!! We are all thankful he is just fine and I am thankful I wasn't talking to him when it happened....I am sure I would have been pretty freaked out....(praying there isn't another one while he is there). The last major earthquake in Chengdu was centered just outside on Chengdu in 2008 registering 7.9 and killing almost 70 thousand people. 

I think I have justification in being freaked out!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

:) You absolutely have justification!

nana said...

Yes I am glad it was Papa and I talking to him and not you. It was scary enough for us but to be his mom and dad would have been much worse. We miss you Jordan.